Sunday 29 January 2012

Week 4 - The January Blues


Well apologies to all those around me this week that have had to put up with my grumpiness. I awoke on Monday morning, and a little black rain cloud appeared to have settled over my head. I'd like to say it cleared up by lunch time but alas it settled for nearly the whole week. The whole idea of cycling 500kms and raising £2,000 for such a very good cause, I have to say has started to feel a little overwhelming & it's only 3 weeks in. I'm assured it's natural and once you lot start pressing that donate button to the left & the donations start to come flooding in, it'll seem like a walk (or should I say ride) in the park again.......so how did the week go?

Grumpiness aside, I still managed to stick to the plan. Which this week was 1 x 45 minute activity / 1 x 20-25 mile bike ride / 1 x hour cycling

I went to a Group Cycling Class at my local gym on Tuesday evening. It was tough, with lots of "hill" climbing, if you read last week's post you'll know I was concerned about those. I have to confess that I don't think I turned up the resistance dial every time I was told to, but at the end of the 45 min session, my legs knew they'd had a work out. Stepping off the bike, there was definitely a Bridget Jones moment, when I thought my legs were going to completely give way.....hmmmm, this is all a lot harder than I first thought.

Thursday, I took myself off to a bike maintenance course run by Evans where I bought my bike from. I love the lads who work in there, they are so passionate about cycling and keen to impart their knowledge, but whenever I ask a question they do always seem to answer with a perturbed expression on their faces, it's like they are amazed that someone THIS stupid should be allowed out on two wheels. Rory, the bike expert, was showing us how to change an inner-tube at the roadside. His question before the demonstration was "what would you do if you got a puncture at the moment?" my response was "call a cab - ha ha!" After he showed us what to do & we all had a go, he asked the same question, my response was now "definitely call a cab" I'm not sure I will ever get the title of teacher's pet of bike maintenance class!

So what about the weekend's rideouts? Well I was very excited about the weekend. My partner in crime Ed, was finally to take delivery of his bike & join me on our first training ride. I was planning to be gentle with him, after all I had 3 weeks training on him, plus all my riding last year as well. It's been some time since he's ridden. So we meet early Saturday morning, my aim was to take him around the route around Biggin Hill I had done the previous week, a few hills, that would probably hurt, but hopefully not scare him off (and make me look great). Oh-oh, wrong again! How is it that Ed having not been on a bike for years STILL manage to be faster and fitter than me?! Not happy! I realised that I have been pootling along at my own pace, not really pushing myself and actually it's a pace that will NEVER get me to Paris. I seriously need to up the ante. We did 21 miles and averaged just under 10mph and I have to say........blimey I was knackered for the rest of the day. Bit worrying that in June we'll need to be doing four times that distance..GULP!

So today, completes the weeks training sessions. 1 hours cycling. I decided to take myself off on the Waterlink Way, cycle route 21. The very first cycle route I ever did on my old muddy fox. It's a flat, off-road cycle track which goes from Beckenham to Greenwich. I set the alarm on my mobile phone for 30 mins after my start time, my plan was to cycle as fast as I could for 30 mins, then turn around and go home. Speed was the name of the game today. I was relieved to hear the bell chime at Lewisham, I had really pushed it and was definitely moving a lot faster than I used to along this route. When I got home and checked the stats........still only 9.98mph......grrrrrrrr! I've worked out in order for me to get to Dover for th ferry crossing we are booked on to, I need to be at about 12-13mph...........That relief bus on the way to Paris is calling. Whilst tempting, I so don't want to be one of the struggling stragglers at the back. Well if this week hasn't been a lesson in continuing with the programme, I don't know what has. I just hope I start to see some improvements soon - or all your lovely donations (hint hint) will be in vain!


No comments:

Post a Comment