Saturday 12 May 2012

What a week!

So my last post was last Saturday, I can't quite believe how much I've fitted in since then & I can now confirm that there isn't much to my life anymore apart from cycling....oh and singing actually - I did make it to a choir rehearsal too (and survived my solo at the Southbank Centre - which I LOVED!). Since last Saturday I've actually cycled 206 miles, even I'm pretty impressed by that! That's two thirds of the way to Paris - admittedly over an 8 day period instead of 4, but I'm starting to feel as though this is not an impossible feat (or am I simply delusional)

I won't bore you with all the gorey details, but I've ridden 6 days in the last 8 - some rides of more consequence than others!

Most proudly for me was that I made it from London to Brighton with my Big Foot Bike Club friends on Sunday in the pouring rain. I confess we didn't do the Beacon - but Devil's Dyke was still pretty hardcore. It took 7 hours and we suffered from 5 punctures (thankfully none mine!) which slowed us down significantly. It was the longest ride I've done yet when you add the miles to the meeting point and the ride home from East Croydon - 60-odd, and I cannot believe the difference riding with a group made. The organisation and help from the club and it's leaders was fantastic. Finding that club has been a godsend to my training, I honestly think I would have given up, had I not joined the club. 70% of the club riders not only cycled to Brighton, but back as well! Whilst I'm not quite up to that yet the ride felt so much easier than the long rides I've done alone, so I'm really encouraged that with all the camaraderie of the 100-odd riders (some of whom I've got to know on Facebook over the past few months), we will all support each other and get ourselves there.

setting out at Hayes
finishing at the Meeting Point Cafe at Brighton
I also learnt the hard way this week that you should never EVER think you can get from A to B when you're not really sure of where you're going by following signposts when you have time constraints. Still on a high from Brighton, I decided I would ride home from work on Thursday - 30-odd miles. The only road route I am familiar with is the M25 which wasn't an option, so I decided to follow the London Cycle Network 21 which runs from Greenwich to Eastbourne, via Beckenham and Crawley (amongst other places). The website for the London Cycle Network describes these routes (and I quote) "routes that are continuous, fast, safe, comfortable and easy to use" that's as maybe when you've got a sunny afternoon to amble along....when you are using it as a commuter route home, in the pissing rain & it's starting to get dark........it would be handy had they mentioned that quite a lot of the 21 in particular is through dense woodland, bridlepaths and uninhabited countryside, where, when my imagination started to run riot, mass murderers could very well hang out. What started out as a great adventure, almost ended in tears on the Caterham bypass! I left work at 5pm and finally got home just before 10pm having given up at Caterham and got on a train........all in one piece but with a very very bruised ego, I should have known better & next week when I attempt it, I will have a carefully mapped out route along at the very least B-roads! Schoolgirl error when cycling alone.

I mentioned earlier that I have met some of my fellow cyclists on Facebook, they've been a great support and it's been a comfort to know that I'm not the only one who is ever so slightly kacking myself about the challenge I have set myself. However, there is also a danger that when one person starts to panic, it can set everyone else off, which is exactly what happened last weekend, as reality started to hit for some of us novice cyclists. What had we done? Was it too much? Were we embarking on four days of hell, pain & suffering? Were we mad? Then one rider, Roger, reminded everyone why we embarked on this journey in the first place, he is raising money for Bone Cancer to which he tragically lost his 17 year old daughter to two years ago, and would be riding to Paris in her memory......he said, that whilst he might be slow, he was going to do it and do it for her and the reason we are all doing it, is not only to achieve something personally, but to raise money and awareness for all the worthy causes we have decided to do this for - wow, what a guy - I can't wait to meet him and hear more about his lovely daughter and help to honour her memory, along with all the other riders who are cycling in memory of loved ones.

To help me remember the reason I'm doing this, on Monday I'm off to the Riverside School in Orpington, where Community Music in Action are currently running a project with their sixth formers, many of whom suffer form learning difficulties and autism. We've funded a professional rapper to work with the students to record tracks and help their storytelling abilities, so I'll be seeing exactly where all the money you have generously donated will be going to - I can't wait & I promise I'll tell you all about it soon!

Our Royal Festival Hall moment........








No comments:

Post a Comment